The Norman B. Spencer Fund - Prize Essay Competition
The Norman B. Spencer Prize Essay Competition was instituted to encourage brethren to take a lively and active interest in masonic research and encourage those who have previously undertaken study of this kind to find a stimulating addition to their normal masonic ritual learning.
Rules of the Competition:
1. The competition is open to members in good standing of lodges on the register of the UGLE or of other GLs recognized by it. They may select their own subject which must be within the fields of Masonic History, Symbolism, Ritual, Biography, or Antiquities (Regalia, Jewels, Glassware, and Ceramics, Books, Documents, and Press Comments on Freemasonry, Architecture or any subject deemed to be of general and particular historical importance). Ritual subjects, Lodge Histories and local Masonic History are not generally acceptable. (SEE NOTE).
No one is eligible who has previously been awarded the Norman B. Spencer Prize or who has been invited to read a paper at a meeting of Quatuor Coronati Lodge, No. 2076 (EC).
NOTE: QC Lodge reserve the right to determine whether any entry is suitable for publication.
2. The Prize of 100 GBP is awarded for the entry in each year judged by the Board of Assessors as being the winner or it may be divided between entrants. The decision of the Board is final.
3. Essays should consist of 5,000 to 10,000 words in English and must be submitted in duplicate, typewritten in double spacing, with a wide left hand margin to each page. The author's name and address MUST be submitted on a separate sheet of paper on which the title of the paper should be repeated and must not appear anywhere as such on the manuscript.
4. Entries will only be accepted on the understanding that QC Lodge and / or QC Correspondence Circle Ltd. have the option of first publication of any entry. The right is also reserved to exercise normal editorial powers in the preparation of essays for publication or delivery and in particular to bring them into conformity with the QC Style Guide. Whilst it is acknowledged that the copyright of papers remains with the authors, by entering the competition they automatically grant to QC Lodge and / or QCCC Ltd. the full right to print, reprint, or otherwise publish their papers or extracts therefrom without requiring any further permission from the authors, their heirs or assigns.
5. ENTRIES (FOR THE CURRENT YEAR*) MUST REACH THE SECRETARY ON OR BEFORE JUNE 1, IN EACH YEAR.
* The current year will be November 9, 2006 to June 1, 2007.
NOTE: IMPORTANT, The fundamental purpose of Quatuor Coronati Lodge is Masonic Research and it is therefore expected entries will be essentially of a high masonic content. Papers of a contemplative or philosophical nature are unlikely to qualify.
Postal Address: Quatuor Coronati Lodge No. 2076, 20 Great Queen Street, London WC2B 5BE, England.
|PS Review of Freemasonry Alerts are email updates of the latest relevant news and papers published on this site |
Masonic Int'l News